Monday, September 11, 2006

Key Largo 9/9 & 9/10

Drove down to Key Largo friday night and setup the tent at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park for a weekend of diving w/ the friendly folks at Conch Republic Divers.

The mosquitos ate me alive and it was hot & humid - I'm going to have to rethink some amenities since all the campsites have power... Last time I camped here - Marco brought a window mounted A/C unit - sure it looked funny - but it kept the tent ice cold!

Saturday Morning:
US Coast Guard Cutter Bibb



US Coast Guard Cutter Duane



While hanging out on deco, a massive jellyfish came by...


Saturday Afternoon:
The Eagle


The second dive was on "Little Conch Reef". I packed my lobster gear and spend the hour trying to find dinner... I ran across three lobsters, 1 short allowed himself to be caught. The other two wanted nothing to do with me, they were backed into their holes and wern't budging.

Sunday Morning:
The Spiegel Grove
Fortunately we were moored onto the superstructure amidship, I dropped down and then instantaneously forgot where I was going. Took me a few minutes to get oriented and find the machine shop, one of my favorite rooms a little off the beaten path... I then made my way forward and down a level where I found a nice stainless steel knife laying in the stairwell. I thought I was down below the main deck - when I came across a huge cutout and then noticed one of the thick lines running down the hallway... so much for penetration. I followed it around and then out onto the bow where I toured the chain locker - my second favorite place on the wreck.



I made my way back to the superstructure, the video really eats up the memory card, so I switched it off to save a few minutes for later. Ended up taking a wrong turn at one point and had to doubleback as I ran into a dead-end. Finally got my bearings again and lined up to get a good shot of Snoopy...

No comments: